SCIENTIFIC NAME: Pongamia pinnata
HINDI NAME: Karanj, Dithouri, Karuaini
ENGLISH NAME: Indian beech, Pongam oil tree, Smooth leaved pongamia
The Karanja tree is very versatile as all parts of the Karanja tree (roots, flowers, leaves, bark) are used for medicinal purposes. It is a medicinal plant mostly used to treat skin and hair issues. Has astringent, bitter, pungent, in taste, easy to digest, and has piercing and hot potency qualities.
USES & HEALTH BENEFITS
- Wound healing action
- Anti-microbial & anti-inflammatory
- Improves bowel movements
- Improves oral health
- Improves digestive functioning
- Relief from cough
- Amazing for female reproductive health
- Cures diabetes
- Amazing for hair growth
PRECAUTIONS & SIDE EFFECTS
- Don't take without expert supervision if pregnant or breastfeeding.
- To apply it locally, use Karanja with rose water or coconut oil because of its hot potency.
HOW TO USE
- Apply Karanja oil over the affected skin area with eczema and boils to heal the wound effectively.
- Apply a paste of Karanja leaves over the wound to fasten the healing.
- Karanja stems can be used for teeth cleaning and maintaining oral health.
- Take ¼-½ tsp Karanja powder with lukewarm water twice a day after meals to improve digestive issues like appetite, indigestion, constipation etc.
- Take ¼ tsp Karanja powder with honey twice a day to get relief from cough.
- Apply 3-5 drops of karanja oil mixed with coconut oil in the pile mass after having bowel movements and cleaning the area twice daily.